Cinnamon cupcakes. Cinnamon frosting. Caramel filling. Om nom nom.
Directions from here. And I think Erika cooks like me kinda, so expect this to be more almost the recipe than exactly the recipe. Use your cooking brain. :)
For the cupcakes:
3 cups cake flour
2 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
11 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1 and 1/2 cups light brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 and 1/4 cups whole milk
1 can (14.1 ounces) of store-bought Dulce de Leche (or make your own)
For the frosting:
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 cups powdered sugar
1. For the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line your muffin tin with the desired liners of your choice.
3. In a large bowl, mix together the cake flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
4. In the bowl of your standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the butter, cinnamon, and sugar on medium speed until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
5. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
6. Add the vanilla, mixing well.
7. Reduce the mixer to low speed and add one-third of the flour mixture.
8. Add one-half of the milk, then alternate with another one-third of the flour mixture.
9. Add the remaining milk, and then add the last one-third of the flour mixture, mixing until just combined.
10. Divide the mixture evenly among your prepared pan, and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
11. Let the cupcakes cool to room temperature before filling and frosting.
12. For the frosting: In the bowl of your standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
13. Add the vanilla and cinnamon until well combined.
14. Reduce the mixer to low speed, and gradually add the powdered sugar until mixed. **Feel free to add more for a thicker consistency.
15. To assemble the cupcakes: Using a small mellon baller, or a knife, gently cut a cone-shaped portion of cake out of the center of each cupcake from the top.
16. Using a pastry bag and large round tip (I used Wilton 2A), fill each cupcake with your desired amount of Dulce de Leche.
17. Pipe the frosting over the tops of each cupcake with your desired tip (I used Wilton 1M).